Listen to the full episode on your favourite podcast player:
In the internet world, information is available on demand whenever and wherever you want. So we have to start thinking about, beyond just creating content, how do we understand how the content is packaged, and how the content is delivered.Malcolm Ong, Head of Product, South China Morning Post
In this episode I’m pleased to have the chance to explore the world of news and media tech, an industry that has gone through rapid transformation over the last 10 years. I got to find out more about the innovation that’s been happening in the media business with Malcolm Ong, Head of Product at South China Morning Post.
Malcolm has an incredible background having been a successful tech entrepreneur himself as a co-founder of e-learning startup Skillshare. We had a very interesting conversation about SCMP’s digital transformation, the role of Artificial Intelligence in the newsroom, their latest experiments innovating with different content formats inspired by new technologies and consumer behaviour, and his thoughts on the future of the news media business.
We talked about:
- SCMP’s experimentation with different content formats and tech inspired by new ways and behaviours in consuming news content, e.g. smart speakers, podcasting, short form videos, real time live blogs
- Role of Artificial Intelligence in the newsroom
- Digital transformation at SCMP going from print to digital first media company
- Considerations when designing for audio experience
- Geographic and Regional differences in user behaviours and preferences for technologies, where they are and how they consume content
- Monetisation of their digital innovation and SCMP’s transition from paywall to free online news model
- How startups and corporates differ in their approach to innovation
- Thoughts on future of media and what’s next for SCMP
Malcolm’s advice for creative entrepreneurs who are just starting out:
Find what problem you’re passionate about solving and focus less on what makes money. There’s always going to be challenges, roadblocks, days when you’re super stressed out and not sure if it’s going to work, and what’s going to push you through is your passion about solving that problem.
Take risks and try everything. There’re always so many reasons to make things fail or reasons to doubt yourself, reasons to say no to certain things, but if you’re creatively resourceful, there’s always ways around it and ways to move forward. Don’t be afraid to take those risks and those steps, and do what it takes.
Want a quick preview of this episode?
Is your brand interested in exploring podcasts as a marketing channel?
Brand sponsorship is a great way for your brand to reach and engage with its target audience in a relevant way while adding educational value. For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like to support us on an ongoing basis:
Become a Fan:
Show your love and support for The Innovate for Growth Podcast.
Become a Sponsor:
Help us keep the podcast up and running at a high quality.
Become a Super Fan:
Get exclusive access to in person Q&A sessions with selected guests each month.
Other podcast interviews from The Innovate for Growth Podcast you might like: