Listen to the full episode on your favourite podcast player:
In this episode, I talked to Tom Grundy, Founder and Editor in Chief of Hong Kong Free Press, the only crowd funded English news media organisation in Hong Kong. We’re going to chat about what led him to start HKFP, how it’s been able to sustain itself as a non-profit news organisation with a growing presence in Hong Kong, and his thoughts on innovation and technologies when it comes to journalism.
What we talked about:
- Tom’s inspiration behind starting HKFP and his entrepreneurship journey from being an English teacher and popular Hong Kong culture blogger who started ‘Hong Wrong’ blog to launching a news media startup
- Building multiple income streams to ensure HKFP can be self sustainable as a non-profit
- The importance of transparency and reducing barriers for people to donate when raising money through crowd funding
- Changing consumer attitude towards paying for quality journalism
- Recent political climate and local protests resulted in an increase in job applicants
- Growing their audience through having a presence on multiple social media platforms and automating social media content publishing
- His thoughts on innovation in journalism and the challenge of adapting new technologies as a news startup
- Opportunities for news and media startups in Hong Kong
Tom’s tip on what it takes to be a good journalist:
Have the discipline to remain as objective and neutral as possible.
Want a quick preview of this episode?
Is your brand interested in exploring podcasts as a marketing channel?
Brand sponsorship is a great way for your brand to reach and engage with its target audience in a relevant way while adding educational value. For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like to support us on an ongoing basis:
Become a Fan:
Show your love and support for The Innovate for Growth Podcast.
Become a Sponsor:
Help us keep the podcast up and running at a high quality.
Become a Super Fan:
Get exclusive access to in person Q&A sessions with selected guests each month.
Other podcast interviews from The Innovate for Growth Podcast you might like: